Contact and residence

Abby, 11, lived with her mum and had done for several years since her parents separated. Abby had not seen her dad during this time but Abby’s Dad still had the right to see her. This is normally called contact and means that usually you should not be stopped from having contact with a parent who you do not live with.

Abby’s Dad is now seeking a contact order in relation to Abby. Abby did not want to have any contact with her dad and her mum was defending the action. Abby wanted to tell the court her views but was not sure what to do. Abby had received a Form F9 from the court but didn’t know what it meant. She contacted Clan Childlaw and asked if she could meet with a solicitor to obtain legal advice.

A solicitor from Clan Childlaw arranged to meet with Abby at her school. She told the solicitor that she wanted to provide her views independently to the court. Clan Childlaw explained the ways in which she could provide her views to the court. Abby chose that she wanted to fill in the Form F9 herself and Clan Child law sent it to the court on her behalf. Abby was satisfied that she had been able to tell the court how she felt about contact independently of her mum.

If your parents are not living together and they can’t agree where you live or who you will see they can make a contact or residence order. The court should always hear your views before any order is made. A letter will be sent to you for your views and you may be able to get a solicitor to go to court for you and tell the court what you think and what you want to happen. If you have an issue like this and would like to speak to a solicitor please contact Clan Childlaw for more information.

More information on contact and residence.